One of the things I love most about my job as a bartender, is meeting and getting to know people outside of my comfort zone. My sweet little life in a bubble is so damn sweet, but often “me centered” and let’s face it, there’s nothing like human connection. You realize how important this is later in life. So, with that being said, two of my bar peeps inspired this weeks blog post.
One, a woman in her early forties, who has kicked Cancers’ ass, not two, but THREE times. She is also on Thyroid medication for life, like thousands of other women who are told that this is their only option. No one actually believes you can reverse Thyroid Disease (or any other disease for that matter) naturally. Except… I did it. I’m proof. It’s in the pudding. Ask me.
The other, a regular of mine, who’s known me long enough to see me at my absolute worst, simply said…. “I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it …. You look radiant …. and HAPPY. I don’t know how radiant I actually look, but I can tell you how I feel… and the “secret” behind it.
We live in a toxic world. Period. If we didn’t, we’d all be running around like Okinawans’, who are living well into their hundreds. I shit you not. Hundreds of them. In perfect health. Watch the documentary “Happy”. But we’re not lucky enough to live in that little corner of the world… famous in Japan for being uber healthy and toxin free. We live in America, where Starbucks and Mc Donalds reign and “health” care and the food industry are basically corruption at it’s finest. (See Monsanto). Most of you don’t know it yet, but you will. There’s a paradigm shift … and it’s happening now. People are finally understanding and grasping the truth behind the food and pharmaceutical industries and disease itself. We have the ability to reverse disease and live healthy, vibrant lives. Our bodies have this awesome ability to fight the good fight if we let it. And yes…. naturally.
All of this takes a hell of a lot of research, and I’ve personally dedicated two years of my life to finding the answers, and a hell of a lot of questions were asked and a healthy amount of skepticism was evident and, yes…. I also had to have faith. A lot of faith. I went from doctor to naturopath to holistic to acupuncturist to herbalist to nutritionist to chiropractor to therapist to neurologist and finally, I looked to myself to get to the bottom of “WHY”? Why we suffer from everything from allergies to autoimmune disorders to autism and why people are healthier in other countries and why vaccines are forced on us but not them and why we insist on genetically engineering our food, while this practice is banned in other countries… and why, why, why? If you don’t ask, you’ll never find the answer. And if you don’t ask for a second opinion, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be lied to. And most likely, you’ll be prescribed a drug with eighteen side effects or given some diagnosis, often the wrong one, and then maybe you’ll need that drug for life, or worse, maybe you’ll need some absolutely unnecessary surgery or procedure for your lower back pain, which could be cured by simply having a few chiropractic adjustments or taking a hot yoga class. Drugs for life wasn’t an option for me. So make it not an option for you and start living the healthiest live you can live. Now.
I’m here to help you do just that. In simple terms. If you have a major disease, email me and I can help you find a good functional medicine doctor who uses NRT in your area, or if you’re simply tired of taking a medication, I can also help you understand why, how and if you can get off of them.
Here is a simple list of things you can do daily to start living a toxic free life. No hair product or TV dinner is worth death. And eventually, when toxins build up in your body, year after year, it leads to disease, and if left untreated…. death. And sure, you could die tomorrow in a car accident, and yes, I hear this all the time from people who don’t want to make these simple changes, but while you’re here on this earth, why not live happily and healthy? Afterall, “Radiance” is a beautiful thing.
1. Reverse Osmosis Water or Spring Water: Water is THE most important thing for your body. Unfortunately our water supply is loaded with chlorine and fluoride, and that’s just the beginning. Fluoridation of our water is a huge controversy right now, and some states are finally banning it as an additive, especially because it’s even more toxic for children and yes, it’s the stuff that’s in your toothpaste, and it actually causes severe thyroid issues after long periods of use. I stopped using Fluoride Toothpaste over two years ago when I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. The absolute best thing you can do is get your water from a local spring using http://www.findaspring.com/. This is untouched water from the earth, exactly as it should be with all the good minerals your body needs and zero chemicals. I know that this can be inconvenient, depending on where you live, so in that case, buy Reverse Osmosis water from Whole Foods, because it’s the only system that removes the chlorine and fluoride completely. Brita doesn’t do shit, so don’t waste your money. Make sure you fill up a BPA free container. For more information on the dangers of Fluoride, visit http://www.fluoridealert.org/.
2. Nonstick Pans and BPA Free Plastic: This one is simple, although may seem tough at first. Nonstick pans are chemically treated and those chemicals are seeping in to your food every single time you cook. Switch to Stainless Steel cookware or an Iron Skillet. Worried about the stick? NEVER cook with olive oil (always use Raw) because Olive Oil cooked at very high temps actually goes rancid and you lose the health benefits completely. DO cook with Coconut Oil, which is extremely good for you, and in fact, the best oil out there, because it’s high in Linoleic Acid and can withstand super high temps. Also, voila…. non stick. Canola Oil and Vegetable Oil should be banned. These two items shouldn’t even be in your kitchen. They are two of the most chemically altered “foods” in the American Diet. Say buh-bye.
3. Beauty Products! I don’t care how attached you think you are to Miss Estee Lauder, you couldn’t possibly be more attached than I was when I started this journey. Give up my products? Hell no. But seriously. Hell YES. Parabens, Phthalates, SLS, Triclosan, Aluminum, Glycols, etc. ALL of these ingredients seep in to your skin and over time cause major damage, like speeding up the aging process, hormone disruption, breast cancer and even dementia and early onset Alzheimer’s. Again, this is because we insist on using these things daily, especially deodorant, which we apply, sometimes to broken skin, every single day for like fifty freaking years. Let it go. Let it all go. I blog about the alternatives. They’re amazing. Make the switch. Use Josie Maran or Mineral Fusion for makeup and for hair, go with Shikai, Andalou Organics or the higher end salon line, Oribe, which is my personal fave. As for deodorant, understand that it takes four to six weeks to sweat out the toxins that have been building up in your body, where aluminum has kept it trapped, so it’s not that the hippie Crystal stuff doesn’t work, it just takes awhile! And trust me…. it’s a good thing getting all that junk out once and for all. I apologize in advance for your stink, but I promise you, it’s worth it. Hands down, the best deodorant is Herban Cowboy for Her. Apply a few times daily until your natural scent is no longer offensive, then once daily is fine. Or make your own using coconut oil, essential oils and baking soda. This one works wonders.
4. Tampons: Without getting too detailed here, why is it considered the norm to put an object inside of your body that can potentially cause something called “Toxic Shock Syndrome”, which if left untreated, can cause death? I’m sorry, come again? It’s a tampon. What a crappy way to die. Buy Chlorine Free tampons and pads. Seventh Generation makes them with no warning message attached.
5. Food: Hate to say it, but if you’re shopping in a conventional grocery store, you’re in trouble… unless you’re shopping the perimeter and buying organic. So give up Ralph’s, Von’s, Safeway, Harris Teeter, etc. Why? Because if it’s in a box and you can’t pronounce the ingredients, your body doesn’t know WTF it is or how to process it. Not only that, all that “food” your eating is loaded with processed sugar, lecithins, chemicals and pesticides. Talk about disrupting the body and causing disease, this is the main culprit. Put down the Oreos and for the sake of the next generation, that Coke, or even worse, that Diet Coke you’re drinking, is literally killing you. High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame are absolutely linked to the obesity and cancer epidemic that continues to rise in this country. The research is done and out there. Coke is feeling the pressure and trying to decide whether or not to use Stevia as their new sweetener. They’re feeling the backlash. They’ve even tried fighting the research and the controversy by putting out their own campaign against it, but it failed. If you do consume animal foods,
switch to grass fed beef, organic, free range eggs, Organic Milk, or even better, Raw Milk and stay the F away from fast food. The CAFO’s where the meat in your Double Double comes from is a breeding ground for E Coli and sick, mistreated animals. Also, these animals are grain and soy fed, and in most cases, loaded with antibiotics.
6. Toxic Relationships: This is a tough one, even for me. I have a long history of repeating this pattern. But I promise you, as my friend Brianna recently said, “A toxic relationship can make you ill and keep you there.” This couldn’t be more true and evident in my own life. If someone in your world, whether they are a friend or lover, doesn’t have the ability to be totally supportive, loving, caring, emotionally available and there for your highest good, please…. Let. Them. Go. At a recent wellness conference in NYC, the speaker asked the audience to tell him what the turning point in their journey to “perfect health” was. Most comments had to do with certain healing modalities or a certain supplement taken or doctor seen, but one woman raised her hand and simply said, “The best thing I ever did for my health was to leave my asshole of a husband.” Everyone laughed, but the speaker spoke intensely about the mind/body connection and how toxic relationships can absolutely lead to physical illness. So say goodbye to Mr. Big and find your Aidan, or better yet, go find yourself and recognize your own self worth first. Yes, I just referenced “Sex and the City” and I’m oddly at peace with it.
Happy Toxic Free Journey!